Monday, April 28, 2008

Helping Out Families in Need Through Photography

The more I do photography, the more I love it, and the more I want to do with it. I love to preserve memories for parents, I love to see people smile when they look at their photos, I love to share in the beginning of a couples life.... there is just so much that a photograph can do, so much it can say... it can make a timeless memory.

There are some amazing things available in the world of photography, I want to share information about a few of them with you. Solumination is a wonderful organization here in the Seattle area founded by Lynette Huffman Johnson. The vision of Soulumination is to, "celebrate the lives of children and parents facing life threatening conditions by providing professional photographs--free of charge--of these special individuals and their families. The life-affirming photographs of Soulumination are an enduring, positive record of the child's brief life, and provide a loving legacy for the children of parents lost to terminal illness." Lynette is an amazing photographer, she actually shot my sisters wedding 2 years ago in Seattle, what a great person. I encourage you to look at her site and her organization.

Another wonderful foundation is the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep foundation. Normally pregnancy and birth is a time of celebration, anticipation, and joy. Sometimes this amazing journey can take a tragic turn. When the unexpected happens, and a new life is taken from a family by death, their world is turned upside down. They are filled with fear, sadness, and sorrow... and this is the time this wonderful organization is there to help. The Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep Foundation "gently provides a helping had for families overcome by grief and pain, the idea of photographing their baby may not immediately occur to them. Offering gentle and beautiful photography services in a compassionate and sensitive manner is the heart of this organization. The beautiful heirloom photographs of these sweet babies are an important part of the healing process. They allow families to honor and cherish their babies, and share the spirits of their lives. Another wonderful thing about this organization is that they have photographers throughout the entire United States and 8 international countries.

I would love to help out in my community through photography. If you know someone in the Seattle/Tacoma area who is in a difficult health situation, hospice care, cancer patient, any terminal illness, etc. I would love to help. I would love to provide these people with a photo session. It would be an honor to help preserve the memories of their lives and their spirits. This makes me think about my own father. He passed away when I was 15 of cancer. We have photos, but not a lot, and even less that were professionally taken. I wish something like this would have been out there for us. It is not something that we would have ever thought about at the time that we went through his illness with him, but I am sure we would have loved to have someone offer it to us. This is where you come in, if you have a friend or family member that might be in need of a service like this, please let me know.

Please take some time and look at these wonderful organizations online, they would love to have your support and donations. Again, help me enrich my own life by allowing me to help those people that you love, think of me if you know someone in need. I would be honored to help.

1 comment:

Mary Ann and Al said...

I know a young girl (20's) who is dying of brain cancer. She is living with her husband at his parents house. I don't know if they would like something like this but I could ask if you would like me to.
Mom