Monday, May 12, 2008

Cherish Your Children

I called my mom last night. She is up in a very small fishing town in Southern Alaska. I was expecting her normal jovial greeting when she answered the phone. I wanted to wish her a happy Mother's Day. I wanted to tell her that I loved her and was so grateful for all that she has done for me. I wanted to thank her for loving me and loving my family.

When she answered the phone she was crying. She said she was at the hospital... my heart dropped. She said that a close friend had a son, Jake, that was in a terrible accident. Through her tears she explained that this wonderful high school boy was out hunting with a friend when he slipped and fell. Somehow, tragically his gun discharged and he was shot in the head.

Through her tears she explained that the whole town was starting to congregate, pray and just be together. Jake's father is a fisherman and was out on a trip. They had to send a small plane out to sea to bring him home to be with his family. Just before we ended our call, she said that she thought she could hear the plane coming in to land.... that Jake's mother said that she felt like she was, "not even in her body", and that they were not giving up yet but were starting to think about if organ donation would be an option.

Mother's Day..... It is supposed to be a day to cherish our mothers, but this mother spent her day thinking about possibly losing the gift which made her a mother to begin with. I honestly can not even imagine their pain, heartache and fear. I have not heard what happened through the night, but please, please keep Jake, this mother and father, his siblings and friends, and this entire town in your thoughts and prayers today.

3 comments:

Mary Ann and Al said...

Thank you Sara for your words. I too wanted to say Happy Mother's Day to you. I thought of you during the first part of the day, but the rest of the day was a blur of hugging, tears, prayers, hard work by the Dr. and nurses. Jake died yesterday afternoon on Mother's Day. Mom, Stacey, is sitting on her bed today with Jake's blanket around her surrounded by her friends and family. Dad, Ken, sits at the table with his brother, who arrived from Seattle this morning, remembering his son. They need our prayers of strength.
Momh

Karry said...

My heart aches for these people - it is such a universal love- the love we have for our children, so even though I don't know them, my heart and prayers go out to them profoundly. you are so right Sara - cherish our children. my thoughts are with your family and this family...

Julie Watts said...

My heartfelt condolences for Jake's family...they are in my thoughts and prayers as well...